The Discovery Room offers families, and especially children ages 5-12, an interactive gateway to the wonders of the Museum and a hands-on, behind-the-scenes look at its science.
Children, accompanied by adults, can explore an array of artifacts and specimens, puzzles, and scientific challenges.
Discovery Room Highlights:
- Hunt for animals in a majestic two-story replica of an African baobab tree filled with specimens of birds, insects, reptiles, and small mammals.
- Create your own collection of minerals, skulls, or arthropods from a cabinet full of fascinating specimens.
- Gather around an authentic Kwakiutl totem pole carved at the Museum in 1992.
- Assemble a life-sized cast skeleton of Prestosuchus, a 14-foot long reptile from the late Triassic Period and handle real fossils.
- Track real-time earthquakes anywhere in the world on a three-drum seismograph and explore the natural world with sophisticated microscopes.
Click here to learn more about the Discovery Room.
The Discovery Room was made possible by a grant from the Edward John Noble Foundation.
Additional support has been provided by Capital One Bank, the Ralph M. Cestone Foundation, Nora and Ted Weinreich, the V. and L. Marx Foundation, the Ducommun and Gross Family Foundation, the Daneker Family, the Larkin Family, and the Alice Lawrence Foundation, Inc.
The Family Science Program is made possible thanks to the generous support of the New York City Council.
Early Childhood and Family Learning at the American Museum of Natural History provides exciting science learning opportunities for young children and families through OLogy, the Discovery Room, the Science and Nature Program, and Public Programs.
Support for Early Childhood and Family Learning has been provided by the Filomen M. D'Agostino Foundation, John and Amy Griffin, Allison and Roberto Mignone, Sylvain Mirochnikoff and Rebekah Mercer, Sharmila and Ravi Sinha, and Beth Kobliner Shaw and David E. Shaw.
Additional funding has been provided by Mr. and Mrs. Mortimer D. A. Sackler, Amy and John Jacobsson, Jonathan and Kristy Korngold, and Kimberly and Greg Lippmann, Shaiza Rizavi and Jonathan Friedland, and Joella and John Lykouretzos.