Plan Your Visit
- Find information on field trips, reservations, lunchrooms, and more at amnh.org/education/plan.
- Review this guide for activities and discussion questions to use before, during, and after your visit.
- Visit amnh.org/education/water for additional online resources.
Making the Most of Your Visit
Teaching in the Exhibition
Designed for an educator leading a small group of students, this section of the guide provides an overview of each area of the exhibition and points out highlights. It also suggests guiding questions to spark an inquiry process in which students ask questions, make observations, and propose explanations.
You may wish to have your students explore the exhibition independently using one of the strategies below. The evidence and questions they gather can serve as springboards for follow-up discussions and further research.
- Student worksheets: You can distribute copies of these black-and-white reproducibles
- Make your own worksheets: You can adapt the information and questions in the Teaching in the Exhibition section.
- Map of the exhibition: You may wish to distribute copies of the Water: H2O = Life map to the class in advance of your visit. Ask students to choose an area of the exhibit that they find particularly interesting, and to write several questions about it. During your visit, have students look for information across the whole exhibition that helps answer these questions, as well as record new questions that come up.