Animal Keeper (Science World)
Live animals add an element of surprise to Museum displays. But they need more than a cute face or bright colors to earn a spot in an exhibition hall. Find out what it takes.
More About This Resource...
This online article is from Science Explorations, a collaboration between AMNH and Scholastic designed to promote science literacy. Written for students in grades 6-10, this article from Science World magazine has the following content:
- An introduction to Hazel Davies, who manages the animals that star in exhibitions at the American Museum of Natural History in New York.
- A look at how animals are selected for Museum exhibitions and the ongoing care they require.
Less than 1 period
Supplement a study of biology with an activity drawn from this online Science Explorations article.
- Ask students if they can think of any live animals that are on display at the AMNH.
- Send students to this online article, or print copies of it for them to read.
- Have them write a one-page reaction to the article, focusing on what they learned about how live animals are selected and cared for in Museum exhibitions.