Our Global Kitchen: Around the African Cauldron
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 lb chicken thighs, cubed
- 1 medium onions, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 large red peppers, chopped
- 1 small squash, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 medium yam or sweet potato, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 4 large carrots, cut in 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 8 cups chicken stock
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 2/3 cup ground roasted peanuts (or unsweetened peanut butter)
- Salt to taste
1. Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in a large stock pot over medium high heat. Pat the chicken pieces dry, season them with salt, and brown them in the oil. Set the chicken pieces aside as they brown.
2. Add 1 Tbsp. oil to the same pot. Lower the heat. add onions and garlic and sweat for two minutes.
3. Add the pepper and sweat for one minute.
4. Add the squash, yam and carrots, and sweat for 8 minutes.
5. Stir in tomatoes, and simmer for 2 minutes.
6. Add the browned chicken, the chicken stock, pepper, cayenne pepper and coriander and simmer for 20 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
7. Turn the heat off, and stir in peanut butter until well blended.
8. Serve over rice, or in a soup bowl.