Digital Images: The Universe Exposed
For most of human history, recording a star meant describing it with words or drawing a picture. The 19th-century invention of photography changed that—only to be revolutionized by digital imaging.
More About This Resource...
This article, available as a six-page printable PDF file, takes a look at the technology of digital imaging. It discusses the following four concepts in depth, and provides a reading list for further research:
- digital images are pictures stored as numbers
- comparing images of the same object at different times reveals motion
- filters enable a black-and-white camera to distinguish different colors of light
- computer manipulation can enhance images and reduce distortion
Less than 1 period
Supplement a study of astronomy or technology with an activity drawn from this article.
- Ask the class what they know about digital pictures. How are they created? How are they transmitted?
- Send students to this online article, or print copies of the essay for them to read.
- Have them briefly explain each of the four concepts in their own words.
SubtopicTools and Methods