Salting Winter Roads
Setting the Stage teacher's guide
Setting the Stage investigation booklet
(Time required: about 45 minutes)
Students will be introduced to Dr. Sujay Kaushal, learn about how salt is used to keep roads clear of snow and ice, and discuss how to test the relationship between the density of roads and salt in streams.
2. Accessing Prior Knowledge (5 minutes)
Introduce the unit by accessing student prior knowledge about snow and road salt.
3. Winter Roads Make Salty Streams Science Bulletin (5 minutes)
Show the Winter Roads Make Salty Streams Science Bulletin to introduce students to the case study.
4. Baltimore Winters (7 minutes)
Use the prepared Setting the Stage slideshow to provide more information about Baltimore winters.
6. How can we test the relationships between roads and salt in streams? (8 Minutes)
Conclude with a discussion of how to test the relationship between roads and the amount of salt found in forested, suburban, and urban streams.
7. Complete the Setting the Stage section of the Investigation Booklet. (5 minutes)
Summary/Assessment: Ask students to complete the Setting the Stage section of the Investigation Booklet, available in the Downloads section on this page.
More About This Resource...