It Wants to Suck Your Blood! (SuperScience)
Learn how leeches attack from a researcher whose love of these blood-sucking worms takes him from Madagascar's rain forests to Africa's hippo-infested waters.
More About This Resource...
This online article is from the Museum's Science Explorations, a collaboration between AMNH and Scholastic designed to promote science literacy. Written for students in grades 3-6, this article from SuperScience magazine has the following content.
- An interview with AMNH scientist Mark Siddall, in which he discusses the amazing diversity of leeches and their medical benefits
- An explanation of how leeches secure themselves to their victims and inject chemicals to keep their blood meal in liquid form
Less than 1 period
Supplement a study of biology with an activity drawn from this online Science Explorations article.
- Ask students: What are leeches? What do they feed on? Have any of you ever seen one up close?
- Send students to this online article, or print copies of it for them to read.
- As a class, review the terms parasite and clot.