From leaf margin and arrangement to the parts of a flower and a corn seedling, take an illustrated look at plant morphology with this collection of guides.
More About This Resource...
This Web page serves as a linked table of contents for the museum's supplemental resources on plant morphology. From it, you can access the following illustrated guides with a single click:
- The Parts of a Soybean Seedling (Glycine max, Dicotyledon),
- The Parts of a Corn Seedling (Zea mays, Monocotyledon),
- Leaf Arrangement,
- Leaf Type,
- Types of Compound Leaves,
- Leaf Shape,
- Leaf Margin, and
- The Parts of a Flower.
Less than 1 period
Supplement a study of biodiversity with an activity drawn from this library of plant morphology resources.
- Ask students what they know about the form and structure of plants. Keep a running list of their answers.
- Divide the class into eight groups, assigning each a different illustrated plant morphology guide.
- Send the groups to this online table of contents, or distribute a copy of each group's guide.
- Have the groups further investigate their topic and then make a brief class presentation on what they learned.
- Update the class list after each group's presentation.