Bats: Night Fliers (SuperScience)
Introduce younger students to bats, which make up nearly one-fifth of all mammal species on Earth. Then put their classification skills to the test with the Chip Challenge.
More About This Resource...
This online article is from the Museum's Science Explorations, a collaboration between AMNH and Scholastic designed to promote science literacy. Written for students in grades 3-6, this article from SuperScience magazine has the following content.
- An interview with AMNH zoologist Nancy Simmons, in which she discusses the difficulties of studying bats
- A hands-on activity, Chip Challenge, that introduces students to the idea of sorting according to physical characteristics
Less than 1 period
Supplement a study of biology with an activity drawn from this online Science Explorations article.
- Send students to this online article, or print copies of it for them to read.
- Working in small groups, have students complete the hands-on activity, Chip Challenge.
- As a class, review the groups' findings and conclusions. Were students in agreement about the most- and least-common characteristics?