Crash Course? (SuperScience)
Introduce younger students to space objects and how gravity affects them. Then have them explore the effects of this force with the Gravity Game.
More About This Resource...
This online article is from the Museum's Science Explorations, a collaboration between AMNH and Scholastic designed to promote science literacy. Written for students in grades 3-6, this article from SuperScience magazine has the following content.
- An interview with AMNH astrophysicist Mike Shara, in which he explains what space objects are and what happens when they collide
- A hands-on activity, Gravity Game, that demonstrates the relationship between an object's and gravity's pull on it
Less than 1 period
Supplement a study of Earth science with an activity drawn from this online Science Explorations article.
- Send students to this online article, or print copies of it for them to read.
- Working in small groups, have students complete the hands-on activity, Gravity Game.
- As a class, review the groups' findings and conclusions. Discuss gravity's role on space objects.