Scorpions: Friend or Foe?
Did you know a scorpion can control how much venom it produces in its stinger? Meet a scientist who's discovered more than 70 species of scorpions and find out what he's learned about them.
More About This Resource...
These online articles are from Science Explorations, a collaboration between AMNH and Scholastic designed to promote science literacy. These articles have the following content:
- An introduction to Lorenzo Prendini, a Museum scientist who has discovered more than 70 species of scorpions.
- A look at these invertebrates that includes the small percentage of them that are poisonous and the uses being discovered for their venom.
Less than 1 period
Supplement a study of biology with an activity drawn from this online Science Explorations article.
- Ask students what they know about scorpions. Where are they found? What are they known for?
- Send students to this online article, or print copies of it for them to read.
- Have them write a one-page reaction to the article, focusing on what they learned about scorpion venom.