Leapin' Lizards (SuperScience)
Introduce younger students to squamates and some of scaly lizards and snakes that are part of this group of animals. Then put their exhibit-designing skills to the test.
More About This Resource...
This online article is from the Museum's Science Explorations, a collaboration between AMNH and Scholastic designed to promote science literacy. Written for students in grades 3-6, this article from SuperScience magazine has the following content.
- An interview with AMNH herpetologist Darrel Frost, in which he discusses the upcoming Lizards & Snakes: Alive exhibition
- A hands-on activity, Create an Exhibit, that challenges students to design a museum exhibit that includes lizards and snakes
Less than 1 period
Supplement a study of biology with an activity drawn from this online Science Explorations article.
- Send students to this online article, or print copies of it for them to read.
- Working in small groups, have students complete the hands-on activity, Create an Exhibit.
- As a class, review the groups' exhibit plans. Were students in agreement about the environment needed for a Green Iguana? About which two animals not to include in the exhibit?