Transformation of the Bioshphere: Global Environmental Change
Neglecting our planet's soils, atmosphere, and water is costly. It has harmed ecosystems and species, and it is degrading the quality of human life. Take a worldwide look at some of the effects.
More About This Resource...
This presentation, available online as a printable PDF, discusses the direct impact humans have on the global environment. It contains the following five pages:
- an overview of how human negligence toward the Earth's soils, atmosphere, and waters not only harms ecosystems and species, but also degrades the quality of human life
- a world map that shows the areas that produce dangerous emissions and the areas affected by the acid rain these emissions help create
- a world map that shows the location of chronic oil trails from routine shipping
- a world map that shows cities with air pollution exceeding World Health Organization standards in one or more pollutants
- a world map that shows areas at risk of flooding due to projected sea-level rises caused by global warming
Less than 1 period
Supplement a study of biodiversity or ecology with an activity drawn from this online presentation.
- Share the information in the introductory slide with the class.
- Divide the class into four groups (one for each of the slide show's world maps). Give each group a printout of its map.
- Have the groups conduct focused research on their map's topic (acid rain, oil trails, air pollution, global warming).
- Ask each group to prepare a 15-minute class presentation that covers the global impact of their topic and that includes suggestions for reducing the harm.