Darwin: Voyage of Discovery (SuperScience)
Introduce younger students to Darwin's voyage on the HMS Beagle with this interview Niles Eldredge. Then challenge their ability to spot environmental adaptations with the Iguana Puzzler.
More About This Resource...
This online article is from the Museum's Science Explorations, a collaboration between AMNH and Scholastic designed to promote science literacy. Written for students in grades 3-6, this article from SuperScience magazine has the following content.
- An interview with AMNH paleontologist Niles Eldredge, in which he explains how the eye-opening sights Charles Darwin encountered during his five-year voyage on the HMS Beagle inspired his thinking about the diversity of life on Earth
- A hands-on activity, Iguana Puzzle, that challenges students to use clues and photographs to distinguish between a marine and a land iguana
Less than 1 period
Supplement a study of biology with an activity drawn from this online Science Explorations article.
- Send students to this online article, or print copies of it for them to read.
- Working in small groups, have students complete the hands-on activity, Iguana Puzzle.
- As a class, review the groups findings and conclusions and decide which features were the most telling.