Sample winning essay for Pterosaurs: Flight in the Age of Dinosaurs Class of the Month Contest - Jessie
Jessie's work comes from Melissa Murphy's fifth grade class at P.S. 009 Sarah Anderson School.
This essay’s strengths:
- Presents information from the Museum exhibit relevant to the prompt with accuracy and sufficient detail.
- Accurately presents science content relevant to the prompt with sufficient explanations that demonstrate understanding of the topic.
- Describes what one fossil reveals about that pterosaur species.
- Some use of precise and domain-specific language
Needs additional support:
- Uses definition of “fossil” directly from the text without paraphrasing.
- Maintains focus on the writing prompt for the majority of the essay but is off-topic some of the time.