Sample winning essay for Pterosaurs: Flight in the Age of Dinosaurs Class of the Month Contest - Silvana
Silvana's work comes from Elizabeth Peña's fifth grade class at P.S. 009 Sarah Anderson School.
This essay’s strengths:
- Presents information from the Museum exhibit relevant to the prompt with accuracy and sufficient detail.
- Accurately presents science content relevant to the prompt with sufficient explanations that demonstrate understanding of the topic.
- Uses a labeled illustration of a pterosaur fossil to accurately communicate relevant information.
- Describes what one fossil reveals about that pterosaur species.
- Some use of precise and domain-specific language
- Provides a concluding statement/section
Needs additional support:
- Uses definition of “fossil” directly from the text without paraphrasing.