Sample winning essay for Whales: Giants of the Deep Class of the Month Contest - Tiona
Tiona's work comes from Kelly Barton's seventh grade class at J.H.S. 202 Robert H. Goddard.
This essay’s strengths:
- Maintains focus throughout
- Gives examples of fossil, molecular, and structural evidence to describe how whales have evolved over time
- Uses accurate and relevant facts from contest readings and the “Whales: Giants of the Deep” exhibit to explain whale adaptations, quoting text appropriately
- Very detailed illustration depicts and labels the evolutionary changes discussed in the essay.
Needs additional support:
- Including an illustration of a living whale species to demonstrate how whales have evolved over time
- Structuring the essay with paragraph breaks and discrete introductory and concluding sections