More About This Resource...
Our innovative Science Bulletins are an online and exhibition program that offers the public a window into the excitement of scientific discovery. This interactive was published in June 2004 as part of the Jellies Down Deep Bio Feature.
- It begins by explaining that long ago, people studied jellies by peering over the side of a boat and drawing the creatures as they bobbed nearby.
- Students can then click on the following three icons to learn more past and present methods of studying jellyfish:
- 1800s: Bringing the Sea to the Surface
- 1900s: Diving Beneath the Surface
- 1980s and Beyond: Diving Deeper
Supplement a study of biology with a classroom activity drawn from this Science Bulletin interactive.
- Working individually or in small groups, have students explore the Observing Jellies interactive.
- Have them select one of the jellies from the 1980s and Beyond slideshow to research further and then report their findings to the class.