Establish Prior Knowledge
For a refresher on mangrove forests, have your students view the February 4, 2008 Snapshot:http://amnh.org/exhibitions/permanent/ocean/02_ecosystems/02d1_mangrove.php
Ask your students:
- Why are the mangroves being destroyed in Asia?
- How do mangroves protect the coastlines?
Then have students locate the country of Myanmar on a world map. Tell students that the Snapshot they will see documents the destruction Cyclone Nargis caused in Myanmar.
Have students view the Snapshot and read the synopsis. Use the following questions to guide a class discussion:
- Why have mangroves been destroyed along many Southeast Asian coastlines?
- What happened to villages along the Myanmar coast when the cyclone struck?
- How do mangrove forests help protect coastlines from high waves?
· What can people in this part of the world do to lessen the impact of events such as the cyclone? What might be competing forces to making these changes?