Establish Prior Knowledge
Have students share what they know about desert sand or dust storms. Discuss how dust or sand storms might negatively affect populated areas. Tell students that in the snapshot they are about to see, China is finding a way to curtail desert dust storms that choke residents in some of China’s largest cities.
Have students view the Snapshot and read the synopsis. Use the following questions to guide discussion.
1. Where do the desert dust storms originate and what drives them?
2. Why is it expected that desert dust storms will become worse?
3. What solution to this problem did China come up with?
4. How will the “Great Green Wall” solve the dust storm problem?
5. Do you think this solution will be effective? Give reasons for your answer.