- Enric Sala and Stuart Sandin, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, La Jolla, CA (leads)
- Special thanks to Alan Friedlander, NOAA/NOS/CCMA-Biogeography Team and The Oceanic Institute, Waimanalo, HI
- DeMartini, E.E., A.M. Friedlander, S.A. Sandin, and E. Sala. Predation effects revisited: structure of shallow-reef fish assemblages along an exploitation gradient in the northern Line Islands. Marine Ecology Progress Series. (in review)
- Dinsdale, E.A., et al. Microbial Ecology of Four Coral Atolls in the Northern Line Islands. PLoS ONE. 3(2): e1584. February 27, 2008.
- Sandin, S.A., et al. Baselines and Degradation of Coral Reefs in the Northern Line Islands. PLoS ONE. 3(2): e1548. February 27, 2008.
Data and Images
- Pacific Ocean, March 2004 (Blue Marble: Next Generation; satellite: NASA Terra/Aqua, sensor: MODIS)
- Line Islands close-ups (Astronaut photos courtesy of Earth Sciences and Image Analysis Laboratory, NASA Johnson Space Center)
- Kingman Reef underwater photo (Zafer Kizilkaya; www.imagesandstories.com)
- Kiritimati and Tabuaeran underwater photos; Kingman Reef coral photo (Jennifer Smith)
- Kingman Reef (IKONOS satellite image courtesy of GeoEye; www.geoeye.com)
- Line Islands divers (Kevin Lafferty, USGS)