- Bon, C., et al. "Deciphering the complete mitochondrial genome and phylogeny of the extinct cave bear in the Paleolithic painted cave of Chauvet." PNAS (Published online October 27, 2008).
- Krause, J., et al. "Mitochondrial genomes reveal an explosive radiation of extinct and extant bears near the Miocene-Pliocene boundary." BMC Evolutionary Biology (July 28, 2008).
- Europe, November 2004 (Blue Marble: Next Generation; satellite: NASA Terra/Aqua, sensor: MODIS)
- Cave bear painting (© 1980 The Field Museum, CK28T, Photographer Ron Testa)
- Cave bear distribution, late Pleistocene (Knapp et al. 2008, Molecular Ecology [in press])
- Bear family tree data (Krause et al. 2008)
- Extracting cave bear DNA photo (Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology)
Special thanks to Sergios-Orestis Kolokotronis, AMNH.