Establish Prior Knowledge
Discuss invasive species with students. Ask them to describe the ways invasive species colonize new habitats and how they might affect the ecology and economy of those areas. Tell students that in the Snapshot they are about to see scientists tallying scallop populations discover an invasive species that might threaten the scallops.
Have students read the synopsis and view the Snapshot. Use the following questions to guide a class discussion.
- For what purpose was HabCam invented?
- What did the camera reveal?
- How did the population of sea squirts on the sea floor change from August 2007 to May 2008?
Use the following question to wrap up your discussion:
- Do scientists know how the sea squirt might impact the environment?
- Why is the discovery of invasive sea squirts a cause for concern?