Explore the St. Elias Range
More About This Resource...
Our innovative Science Bulletins are an online and exhibition program that offers the public a window into the excitement of scientific discovery. This interactive, published in April 2008 as part of the Moving Mountains Earth Feature, includes:
- details about how the St. Elias mountain belt is whipsawed by snow and rain and loaded with ice, and
- a zoomable look at the Pacific Plate, which is pushing the Yakutat Terrane underneath the North American Plate, and
- photographic looks at Ice Bay, Mt. St. Elias, Seward Glacier, and Malasping Glacier.
Supplement a study of geology with a classroom activity drawn from this Science Bulletin interactive.
- Working individually or in small groups, have students explore the St. Elias Range interactive.
- Have them learn more about the St. Elias range by exploring the National Park Service site for Wrangell - St. Elias and using the information and photos on the site to create a travel poster for "America's largest national park."