Interactive: Centuries of Tsunamis
More About This Resource...
Our innovative Science Bulletins are an online and exhibition program that offers the public a window into the excitement of scientific discovery. This interactive was published in October 2005 as part of the Tsunami Science: Reducing the Risk Earth Feature. Students can click on eight locations highlighted on a world map to read descriptions and view images relevant to the historic tsunamis that happened there.
- 1645 - Santorini Island, Greece
- 1700 - Northeastern Pacific Ocean
- 1755 - Lisbon, Portugal
- 1883 - Krakatau, Indonesia
- 1946 - Pacific Ocean
- 1960 - Chile
- 1958 - Lituya Bay
- 2004 - Sumatra, Indonesia
Supplement a study of earth science with a classroom activity drawn from this Science Bulletin interactive.
- Working individually or in small groups, have students explore the Centuries of Tsunamis interactive.
- Have them pick one of the past tsunami events to research further. Using what they've learned, have them create a newscast that reports the event with illustrations and maps.