Establish Prior Knowledge
Discuss with students the kind of work archaeologists do. Ask students what kind of information archaeologists can obtain from gravesites of ancient people. Tell students that in the snapshot they are about it see, archaeologists study the graves of stone age people who lived 4,600 years ago.
Have students view the Snapshot and read the synopsis. Use the following questions to guide discussion.
1. Where was the gravesite found?
2. Why was this culture known as the Corded Ware Culture?
3. How were bodies arranged in the graves?
4. What led archaeologists to conclude that the people were killed in a violent raid?
5. What did DNA tests reveal about the bodies in graves?
1. What does this evidence tell you about the importance of the family unit within this culture?