Establish Prior Knowledge
Call on students to share what they know about genes. If necessary, direct students to “What are Genes?” on the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services web site http://www.accessexcellence.org/AE/AEPC/NIH?gene03.php
Tell students that in the Snapshot they are about to see, a study shows how people’s genetic makeup can link them to their geographic origins.
Have students view the Snapshot and read the synopsis. Use the following questions to guide discussion.
1. What did scientists hope to discover with this investigation?
2. How did scientists gather their data?
3. What did they look for in the data?
4. How did scientists display the data?
5. What did analysis of the data show?
Use the following question to wrap up your discussion.
- In what ways can this kind of study be useful?