Establish Prior Knowledge
Call on students to share what they previously learned about the Flores people found in Indonesia. If necessary, direct them to this site:
Unraveling the Origins of the Flores Fossils: http://www.amnh.org/explore/science-bulletins/human/snapshots/unraveling-the-origins-of-the-flores-fossils
Tell students that the Snapshot they are about it see reveals what scientists studying the "hobbit's" tiny foot have found.
Have students watch the Snapshot and read the synopsis. Use the following questions to guide a class discussion:
- How is the "hobbit's" foot different from that of apes?
- How is the "hobbit's" foot different from that of modern humans?
- What does the shape of "hobbit's" foot suggest about the way it moved?
- What leading view about Homo floresiensis do these findings support?
Use the following questions to conclude the activity:
- What more needs to be done to support scientists' theories?
- What does this tell you about the nature of science?