Class DiscussionEstablish Prior Knowledge
Call on students to share what they know about the different parts of the human brain. Point out that the cerebral cortex is the outer layer of the brain and is responsible for higher-order functions such as language and the processing of information. Each area of the cortex is responsible for a different function. Direct students to this website to learn about functional divisions of the cerebral cortex.
Have students identify each area and its function.
Have students view the Snapshot and read the synopsis. Use the following questions to guide class discussion.
1. What did the diffusion spectrum imaging (DSI) analyze?
2. What did scientists discover when they analyzed the data?
3. How do the “hubs” function?
4. In which areas of the cerebral cortex do the hubs appear to be located?
5. What are some questions that these new findings might help scientists answer?