Groups in present-day Peru and Chile made the oldest mummies in the world, starting 7,000 years ago.
Ancient Egyptians began making mummies 5,500 years ago, over a full millennium later.
Unwrap more fascinating facts about the mysterious world of mummies with a Museum membership that gets you exclusive access to preview days for our upcoming special exhibition, Mummies! And of course members get to enjoy all the additional treasures in the American Museum of Natural History. (And much more!)
FREE unlimited admission for up to 2 adults
FAMILY MEMBERSHIP ›
FREE unlimited admission for 2 adults and up to 4 kids
AND you’ll also get 4 FREE tickets to
the Butterfly Conservatory (now open)!
Additional membership perks:
- FREE tickets to temporary exhibitions
- Priority service at membership desks
- Exclusive access to exhibition preview days
- Discounted tickets to LeFrak Theater 2D and 3D films
- Half price tickets to the Hayden Planetarium Space Show, narrated by Neil deGrasse Tyson
- Discounts at Museum shops and restaurants
Mummies was developed by The Field Museum, Chicago.
The Museum gratefully acknowledges the Richard and Karen LeFrak Exhibition and Education Fund.
Mummies is proudly supported by Chase Private Client.
Photo Credit: © 2015 The Field Museum, A115214d_030A, photographer John Weinstein.