Application and Eligibility
The AMNH MAT program is not currently accepting applications. Please sign up on our mailing list for information about next year's program.
Join Our Mailing List
2013 Application Timeline
Step 1: Create an online account with a user name and password. Retain this information to access the account throughout the application process.
Step 2: Complete the online application by February 18, 2013. Please make sure all the requirements have been met so that your application can proceed to the next step
- Personal, professional, academic information
- Short answer questions
- Statement of educational goals and intent
- Three letters of recommendation
- Official transcripts from all universities and professional schools attended
- Current resume
- Signed agreement to seek employment as a teacher
- Application fee of $50 (non-refundable)
Step 3: If you are selected for an interview, you will hear from the MAT Program within 4-6 weeks after your completed application has been received. Admissions interviews will be held at the Museum by a team of educators and scientists.
Step 4: Notification of admissions decisions will be sent to your online account in March. Offers must be accepted by March 31, 2013.
MAT applicants must meet the following requirements:
- A Bachelor’s Degree (30 credits) in Earth Science or a related discipline (e.g., Geology, Meteorology, Oceanography, or Space Science) OR a Bachelor’s with a minimum of 24 credits in Earth Science plus 6 additional credits in Physics, Chemistry, Environmental Science, or Biology
- Minimum GPA of 3.00
- A signed agreement to seek employment as a teacher in a high-needs New York State public school for at least four years upon graduation
- U.S. Citizen or Legal Resident
- Special consideration will be given to individuals with skills/experiences such as the ability to communicate in a second language, in-depth knowledge of social issues, and having lived abroad
Applicants with a previous graduate education degree and/or teacher certification will not be considered for the program.
Video of the MAT Webinar held on December 12, 2012
To watch a portion of this 50 minute video, please click on the section you would like to view below. A Youtube video will open in another window.
- Overview of MAT Program
- Admissions Policies and Procedures
- Information about Museum and School Residencies
- Information about MAT Academic Courses
Weekly Hours for MAT Program Orientation can made By appointment only. Appointments can be made Fridays from 3-6pm (2-6pm starting May 1) at the Museum or by phone. Request an appointment
The American Museum of Natural History is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer. The Museum encourages Women, Minorities, Persons with Disabilities, Vietnam Era and Disabled Veterans to apply. The Museum does not discriminate due to age, sex, religion, race, color, national origin, disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other factor prohibited by law. If special accommodations are needed in applying for a position, please call the Office of Human Resources.