Research and Education Fellow
Download Curriculum Vitae
- Michigan Technological University, Ph.D., 2011
- Simon Fraser University, M.Sc., 2006
- McGill University, B.Sc. Hons., 2004
Dr. Nadeau specializes in volcanology and focuses on studying the roles of degassing and outgassing in various types of volcanic activity. In her graduate research, she helped to develop an ultraviolet camera for measuring high-temporal resolution measurements of volcanic sulfur dioxide. By combining such ground-based remote sensing of volcanic gas with other geophysical datasets--like seismicity, infrasound, and deformation--she was able to develop models of shallow conduit processes at Fuego (Guatemala) and Kilauea (Hawaii) volcanoes. At the American Museum of Natural History, Dr. Nadeau will investigate the petrology and volatile contents of eruptive products in tandem with remotely sensed gas and geophysical data in order to better understand eruptive phenomena at both explosive and effusive volcanoes.
- Nadeau, P.A., Palma, J.L., and Waite, G.P., 2011. "Linking volcanic tremor, degassing, and eruption dynamics via SO2 imaging." Geophys. Res. Lett., 38, L01304, doi:10.1029/2010GL045592.
- Dalton, M. P., Waite, G.P., Watson, I.M., and Nadeau, P.A., 2010. "Multiparameter quantification of gas release during weak Strombolian eruptions at Pacaya Volcano, Guatemala." Geophys. Res. Lett., 37, L09303, doi:10.1029/2010GL042617.
- Dalton, M.P., Watson, I.M., Nadeau, P.A., Werner, C., Morrow, W., and Shannon, J.M., 2009. "Assessment of the UV camera sulfur dioxide retrieval for point source plumes," J. Volcanol. Geotherm. Res., 188:358-366, 10.1016/j.jvolgeores.2009.09.013.
- Nadeau, P.A., and G. Williams-Jones, 2009. "Apparent downwind depletion of volcanic SO2: Lessons from Masaya Volcano, Nicaragua." Bull. Volcanol. 71(4), 389–400, doi:10.1007/s00445-008-0251-9.
- Nadeau, P.A. and Williams-Jones, G., 2008. "Beyond COSPEC: Recent advances in SO2 monitoring technology." In: Stix, J., Williams-Jones, G., and Hickson, C. (Editors), The COSPEC Cookbook: Making SO2 Gas Measurements at Active Volcanoes, Proceedings of Volcanology, IAVCEI.
- Williams-Jones, G., Stix, J., and Nadeau, P.A., 2008. "Using the COSPEC in the field." In: Stix, J., Williams-Jones, G., and Hickson, C. (Editors), The COSPEC Cookbook: Making SO2 Gas Measurements at Active Volcanoes, Proceedings of Volcanology, IAVCEI.
- Volcanology (lab section), Simon Fraser University, 2006
- Introduction to Mineralogy (lab section), Simon Fraser University, 2004-2005
- Physical Geology (lab section), Simon Fraser University, 2004
Exhibition and Outreach Activities
- Workshop Organizer/Instructor, Michigan Technological University (Workshops in Costa Rica, 2007 and 2011)
- Guest Lecturer, Michigan Technological University, for "Fundamentals of Remote Sensing" and "Topics in Volcanology" classes (2009 – 2010)
- Peer Mentor, Michigan Technological University (Instructed undergraduate, visiting summer, and other graduate students in the use of the UV camera at volcanoes, 2008 – 2010)