Director of Professional Development, The Churchill School and Center
Download Curriculum Vitae
- Bank Street College of Education, M.S., 1976
- Brooklyn College, B.A., 1962
Claire Wurtzel has been an educator for 40 years. Her focus is on supporting teachers who work with students struggling with learning and/or behavior difficulties. Ms. Wurtzel was the Director of Faculty Development for The Churchill School & Center for the last 3 years. Prior to that she was The Director of Professional Development for the New York Center of All Kinds of Minds for 5 years, an institute founded to help educators work effectively with struggling learners. Before that, Ms. Wurtzel taught at Bank Street College of Education for 17 years, 4 of which she was chair of the Department of Special Education. Ms. Wurtzel is nationally recognized for her outstanding contributions to the field of special education, in particular, for developing innovative curricula, teachers’ manuals, videos and effective inclusion programs. Ms. Wurtzel is also known internationally, having worked with educators in India, Switzerland, Ecuador, Bermuda and Canada.
- Wurtzel, C. 2004-2005. “Focus on What Works: Schools Attuned”. The Academic Intervention Newsletter. Sharing What Works . Vol.1, issue 2
- Wurtzel, C., Ross, S., Wilson, B. 1992. "Empowering Teachers," Their World. A publication of the National Center for Learning Disabilities. NY.
- Hornung, M., Katz, A., Wurtzel, C. 1991. "Advisement and Collaboration," Thought and Practice. The Journal of the Graduate School of Bank Street College of Education. NY. Vol. 3 No. 1
- Wurtzel, C. 1988. "Life Histories: A Compelling Approach to Teaching Social Studies," The Churchill Forum. The Churchill Center for Learning Disabilities, NY. Vol. IX No. 1
- Wurtzel, C. 1986. "Planning Museum Trips for Children With Learning Disabilities," Their World. A Publication of the Foundation for Children with Learning Disabilities, NY
- Wurtzel, C. 1986. Central Park: A Humanities Curriculum for Children with Learning Disabilities.New York. The Churchill School and Center for Learning Disabilities
- Wurtzel, C. 1985. Project Heroes: A Humanities Curriculum for Children with Learning Disabilities. New York. The Churchill School and Center for Learning Disabilities
- A Consultant and Model Program Contributor to Museums: A Resource for the Learning Disabled, Division of Educational Services, Inc., the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York; 1984.
- Wurtzel, C. 1984. "Core Curriculum: Teaching of Skills in a Meaningful Context," The Churchill Forum, the Churchill Center for Learning Disabilities, Inc., NY. Vol. VI No. 3
- Wurtzel, C., 1980. "Teaching Social Studies: Parts I and II," The Churchill Forum. The Churchill Center for Learning Disabilities Inc. NY
- Graduate Faculty, Bank Street College of Education, 1994-2003