Looking for a unique and challenging summer experience? A paid summer internship with the Museum Education and Employment Program (MEEP) may be just right for you.
MEEP interns are responsible for developing and presenting themed tours to visiting camp groups, and engaging visitors at educational touch carts in the Museum halls. The program provides on-the-job training and exposure to careers in science, museum education, and related fields. Participants work closely with Museum scientists and educators exploring scientific content and learning valuable skills for working with and teaching learners of all ages. MEEP is a great opportunity for young adults to have an impact on the experiences of thousands of Museum visitors.
Applications for summer 2016 are now being accepted. Click HERE to apply
Eligibility (for the 2016 program)
- You MUST be a permanent resident of New York City.
- You MUST be 18-21 years of age by June 3, 2016.
- MUST be available to start June 6, 2016, and work 9:30am-4:30pm from June 6, 2016 through August 14, 2016.
- Applicants should be outgoing, able to master and articulate the content of Museum halls, and enjoy working with children.
- Knowledge and/or interest in science strongly preferred.
- Applicants must complete a detailed application, including a personal statement and resume.
- You MUST be available Monday through Sunday June-August from 9:30am-4:30pm.
- In June MEEP interns, receive four weeks of mandatory, paid training in the content of the Museum's halls (including natural and physical sciences, and anthropology), and educational techniques.
- Interns who successfully complete the training program will be eligible for six weeks of employment working with visiting camp groups and other Museum visitors.
- In June participants are responsible for learning the material given to them by content experts. This information will be used to create themed Museum tours. Interns will utilize this information, as well as that found through independent research, to create themed Museum tours.
- During July and August, MEEP interns will present the tours that they developed in June to visiting camp groups. In addition, interns will staff educational touch carts with specimens and artifacts related to the halls.
- Due to the large volume of applications received we can not confirm receipt of applications, or provide updates on the status of applications. Only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Museum's Youth Initiatives are generously supported by the leadership contribution of