What You'll Need:
- Black construction paper
- color tissue paper (red, blue)
- printouts of ocean creatures
- ballpoint pen
- shoebox (without lid)
What to Do:
1. Color in an ocean creature. (Don't color in the shapes that are grey.)
2. Use a pair of scissors to cut out the shape of the creature.
3. Use scotch tape to attach the shape to a piece of black construction paper.
4. Use scissors or a ballpoint pen to poke holes in the body parts that are in grey.
5. Measure and cut enough tissue paper to cover the holes (use red and blue for stoplight loosejaw dragonfish, blue for anglerfish, hatchetfish, bristlemouth, and vampire squid).
6. Tape the tissue papers (covering the holes) to the blank side of the black construction paper.
7. Draw a circle on the back of the shoebox. The circle should be big enough to stick your flashlight in.
8. Ask an adult to help you cut out the circle.
9. Tape the black construction paper with your creature over the open side of the shoebox. (Use extra paper to cover the entire open side of the box if needed.)
10. Stick the bulb part of the flashlight inside the shoebox. Turn the flashlight on.
11. Turn off the lights in the room to see what this bioluminescent creature look like in the deep sea!