- Herbariums use 100 percent rag paper (usually 11 1/2 by 16 1/2 inches) and white library glue. Rag paper is expensive and hard to obtain (available from some biological supply houses), so you will probably want to use a good quality, fairly stiff white paper instead.
- Arrange the specimen on the paper and place dabs of glue in several places to hold it down securely.
- Make a clean copy of the identification card and attach it to the paper in the lower right-hand corner.
- Put the mounted plant in the freezer for a few days to kill any insects.
- As an added precaution, you can put the specimen in a clear plastic bag and put that into an opaque envelope. Sprinkle mothballs in the storage area to discourage pests. (Caution: Mothballs are poisonous. Handle with care and wash your hands afterward.)