Throughout time, people have dressed horses in different ways. Depending on the culture, this gear has been used for practical reasons, to reflect status or wealth, or both.
Play with paper cutouts of six riders and styles of horse gear from different world cultures. Just follow the instructions below!
After you've tried out different riders and styles of horse gear, answer these questions:
• What are some of the biggest differences you see between different styles of dress worn by horse and rider?
• Do you see similarities between the different horse gear? Are there parts of the gear that may have different styles, but could serve the same purpose in different cultures?
• Do you see any symbols that might relate to the status of the rider?
• Which features of the gear worn by horse and rider would be protective? Which ones would be more decorative?
• How is the dress of the thoroughbred racing horse and jockey different from the others? Why do you think this is?