Collecting: International

To collect and import material into the U.S., it is likely that you will need local & country collecting permits, country export permits and a USFWS import form. Collecting Permits International regulations for scientific collecting permits vary from country to country. The U.S. Department of State has information on collecting permits for individual countries. The USFWS also has great current information on permits such as new federal permits listed in the Federal Register. Allow sufficient time when applying for collecting permits. Some permits require 6 months to process. Export Permits AMNH Researchers are responsible for obtaining all necessary export permits from foreign countries prior to importing specimens into the U.S. The guidelines for obtaining export permits are similar to foreign collecting permits. USFWS Import Procedures (hyperlink to page)