Field Herpetology of the Southwest
© Courtesy of Stephen Mullen
- Participants will obtain hands-on experience in amphibian and reptile identification, collecting and marking techniques, and data documentation. The course will also cover how to prepare a museum voucher specimen, including tissue vouchers.
- The course is designed for students, conservation biologists, and other individuals who have a background in biology at the college level. It will emphasize taxonomy, ecology, and field identification of reptiles and amphibians of southeastern Arizona and parts of southwestern New Mexico. The course will include lectures, field trips, and labs. However, field trips will be a major part of the course. Students will visit a wide diversity of habitat types ranging from mountain tops to desert.
- Collection of specimens during the course will be confined to instructors; no private collecting is permitted. You must be 18 years or older to register for this course.
July 26-August 3, 2023
- $1,400 fee covers tuition, shared dormitory housing, and meals. After February 1, and upon acceptance, a $100 deposit is required to reserve your place in the course. The balance payment must be made upon arrival at SWRS.
- Cancellation Policy: With at least 45 days advance notice from the start date, deposits will be refunded, less a $20 cancellation fee. No deposits will be refunded with less than 45 days notice.
- Payment can be made with a personal check, certified check, or money order, made payable to SWRS.
- Credit card payments are also possible but we ask that you keep in mind that the Station is a non-profit organization and fees for credit card charges continue to increase.
- If you reside outside the United States: please submit your payment in the form of a certified check, money order, or bank transfer in U.S. Dollars or email [email protected] to obtain details for a bank transfer to SWRS.
Costs for travel to SWRS are to be borne by all participants. As participants register, we can facilitate participants contacting each other to carpool to and from the station.
Please email [email protected] to request an application.