- University of Washington, Ph.D., 1981
- University of Arizona, M.S., 1971
- Franklin and Marshall College, B.A., 1968
Petrological evolution of layered mafic intrusions, geochemistry of the volatile elements, geochemistry of the platinum group elements, mantle petrology, evolution of early Earth.
Selected Recent Publications
Penniston-Dorland, S.C., E.A. Mathez, B. Wing, J. Farquhar, and J.A. Kinnard, Multiple sulfur isotope evidence for surface-derived sulfur in the Bushveld Complex. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 337-338, 236-242.
VanTongeren, J., and E.A. Mathez, 2012, Large-scale liquid immiscibility at the top of the Bushveld Complex, South Africa. Geology 40, 491-494.
VanTongeren, J., E.A. Mathez, and P. Kelemen, 2010, A felsic end to Bushveld differentiation. Journal of Petrology, 51, 1891-1942.
Mathez, E. A., J. J. Roberts, A. G. Duba, A K. Kronenberg, and S. L. Karner, 2008, Carbon deposition during brittle rock deformation: Changes in electrical properties of fault zones and potential geoelectric phenomena during earthquakes, Journal of Geophysical Research, 113, B12201, doi:10.1029/2008JB005798.
Mathez, E.A., and A.J.R. Kent, 2007, Variable initial Pb isotopic compositions of rocks associated with the UG2 chromitite, eastern Bushveld Complex. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 71, 5514-5527.
Mondal, S.K., and E.A. Mathez, 2007, Origin of the UG2 chromitite layer, Bushveld Complex. Journal of Petrology 48, 495-510.
Mathez, E.A., and J.D. Webster, 2005, Partitioning behavior of chlorine and fluorine in the system apatite-silicate melt-fluid. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 69, 1275-1286.
- AMNH Masters of Arts in Teaching Program (Earth Sciences)
- Lamont Doherty Earth Observatory, Columbia University. Adjunct Senior Research Scientist
- Bard College, Center for Environmental Policy. Visiting Professor
- Graduate Center, City University of New York. Adjunct Professor
- Geologic Museum, University of Copenhagen. Visiting Professor, 2000-2001
- Chercheur Associe, Laboratoire des Isotopes Stables, Universite de Paris VI et VII, 1986-1987
- Department of Geological Sciences, University of Washington. Research Assistant Professor, 1983-1987
Graduate students and postdocs
- D. Nicholson
- C. Peach
- R. Hutchinson
- R. Fogel
- R. Kinzler
- G. Amason
- G. Grecco
- J. Mey
- S. Mondal
- A. Merlini
- J. VanTongeren
- S. Fowler
- A. Zirakparvar
- Lead curator, Gottesman Hall of Planet Earth (permanent exhibit, 1999)
- Co-curator, Climate Change: The Threat to Life and a New Energy Future (temporary exhibit, 2008)
- Fellow, Mineralogical Society of America
- American Geophysical Union Excellence in Geophysical Education Award, 2002 (co-recipient)