- University of Washington, Ph.D., 1981
- University of Arizona, M.S., 1971
- Franklin and Marshall College, B.A., 1968
Research InterestsResearch Interests
- AMNH Masters of Arts in Teaching Program (Earth Sciences)
- Lamont Doherty Earth Observatory, Columbia University. Adjunct Senior Research Scientist
- Bard College, Center for Environmental Policy, Visiting Professor (2011-2013)
- Graduate Center, City University of New York. Adjunct Professor
- Geologic Museum, University of Copenhagen. Visiting Professor, 2000-2001
- Chercheur Associe, Laboratoire des Isotopes Stables, Universite de Paris VI et VII, 1986-1987
- Department of Geological Sciences, University of Washington. Research Assistant Professor, 1983-1987
- D. Nicholson
- C. Peach
- R. Hutchinson
- R. Fogel
- R. Kinzler
- G. Amason
- G. Grecco
- J. Mey
- S. Mondal
- A. Merlini
- J. VanTongeren
- S. Fowler
- A. Zirakparvar
- Lead curator, Gottesman Hall of Planet Earth (permanent exhibit, 1999)
- Co-curator, Climate Change: The Threat to Life and a New Energy Future (temporary exhibit, 2008)
- Fellow, Mineralogical Society of America
- American Geophysical Union Excellence in Geophysical Education Award, 2002 (co-recipient)
Petrological evolution of layered mafic intrusions, geochemistry of the volatile elements, geochemistry of the platinum group elements, mantle petrology, evolution of early Earth.
Selected Recent Publications
Mathez, E.A., J.A. VanTongeren, and J. Schweitzer, 2013, On the relationships between the Bushveld Complex and its felsic roof rocks, part I. Petrogenesis of Rooiberg and related felsites. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology 166, 435-449.
Patten, C., S.-J. Barnes, E.A. Mathez, and F.E. Jenner, 2013, Partition coefficients of chalcophile elements between sulfide and silicate melts and the early crystallization history of sulfide liquid: LA-ICP-MS analysis of MORB sulfide droplets. Chemical Geology 358, 170-188.
VanTongeren, J., and E.A. Mathez, 2013, Incoming magma composition and style of recharge below the Pyroxenite Marker, eastern Bushveld Complex, South Africa. Journal of Petrology 54, 1585-1605.
Penniston—Dorland, S.C., E.A. Mathez, B. Wing, J. Farquhar, and J.A. Kinnard, 2012, Multiple sulfur isotope evidence for surface-derived sulfur in the Bushveld Complex. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 337-338, 236-242.
Patten, C., S.-J. Barnes, and E.A. Mathez, 2012, Textural variations in MORB sulfide droplets due to differences in crystallization history. Canadian Mineralogist 50, 675-692.
VanTongeren, J., and E.A. Mathez, 2012, Large-scale liquid immiscibility at the top of the Bushveld Complex, South Africa. Geology 40, 491-494.
VanTongeren, J., E.A. Mathez, and P. Kelemen, 2010, A felsic end to Bushveld differentiation. Journal of Petrology 51, 1891-1942.
Mathez, E. A., J. J. Roberts, A. G. Duba, A K. Kronenberg, and S. L. Karner, 2008, Carbon deposition during brittle rock deformation: Changes in electrical properties of fault zones and potential geoelectric phenomena during earthquakes, Journal of Geophysical Research 113, B12201, doi:10.1029/2008JB005798.
Mathez, E.A., and A.J.R. Kent, 2007, Variable initial Pb isotopic compositions of rocks associated with the UG2 chromitite, eastern Bushveld Complex. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 71, 5514-5527.
Mondal, S.K., and E.A. Mathez, 2007, Origin of the UG2 chromitite layer, Bushveld Complex. Journal of Petrology 48, 495-510.
Graduate students and postdocs