- State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry, M.Sc., 1994
- State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry, Ph.D., 1997
Research InterestsResearch Interests
Dr. Felicity Arengo is Associate Director of the Center for Biodiversity and Conservation where she helps oversee strategic planning, project development and administration, and fundraising efforts. Felicity has twenty years of field research and project management experience in Latin America and is currently the Americas coordinator of the IUCN Flamingo Specialist Group. In South America, she is working with partners monitoring flamingo populations and habitat connectivity to develop and implement a long-term regional conservation strategy that will ensure conservation of wetland systems. She is also co-leading a study at Palmyra Atoll in the Central Pacific, focused on a previously unstudied population of green sea turtles, using innovative technology to study population dynamics, health, and connectivity across the Pacific. Dr. Arengo is an Adjunct Research Scientist at the Earth Institute, Columbia University, where she is on the Steering Committee of the Consortium for Environmental Research and Conservation (CERC).
- Arengo, F. 2003. Flamingos, p. 171-174. In Mittermeier, R.A., P. Robles Gil, C.G. Mittermeier, T. Brooks, M. Hoffman, W.R. Konstant, G.A.B. da Fonseca, and R.B. Mast, Wildlife Spectacles. CEMEX-Agrupacion Sierra Madre-Conservation International, Mexico, 324 pp.
- Arengo, F. and G. A. Baldassarre. 2002. Patch choice and foraging behavior on nonbreeding American Flamingos in Yucatán, Mexico. Condor 104:452-457.
- Arengo, F. and G. A. Baldassarre. 1999. Resource variability and conservation of American Flamingos in coastal wetlands of Yucatán, Mexico. Journal of Wildlife Management 63:1201-1212.
- Arengo, F. and G. A. Baldassarre. 1998. Potential food availability and flamingo use of commercial salt impoundments in the Ría Lagartos Biosphere Reserve, Mexico. Colonial Waterbirds 21:211-221.
- Arengo, F. and G. A. Baldassarre. 1995. Effects of food density on the behavior and distribution of nonbreeding American Flamingos in Yucatan, Mexico. Condor 97:325-334
- Arengo, F. and G. A. Baldassarre. 1995. American flamingos and ecotourism on the Yucatan Peninsula, Mexico, p. 207-210. In J. A. Bissonette and P. R. Krausman [eds.], Integrating people and wildlife for a sustainable future. Proceedings of the first International Wildlife Management Congress. The Wildlife Society, Bethesda, MD, USA.
- Baldassarre, G., and F. Arengo. 2000. A review of the ecology and conservation of Caribbean Flamingos in Yucatán, Mexico. Conservation Biology of Flamingos. Waterbirds 23 (Special Publication 1): 71-79.
- Baldassarre, G. A., F. Arengo, and K. Bildstein. 2000 [eds.]. 2000. Conservation Biology of Flamingos. Waterbirds 23 (Special Publication 1).
- Bildstein, K. L., G. A.. Baldassarre, and F. Arengo. 2000. Flamingo Science: Where are we and where do we want to go. Conservation Biology of Flamingos. Waterbirds 23 (Special Publication 1): 206-211
- Bynum, E. L., E. Sterling, B. Weeks, A. Gómez, K. Roosenburg, E. Vintinner, F. Arengo, M. Domroese, and Pearson, R. 2009. Emerging Topics in the Study of Life on Earth: Systems Approaches to Biological and Cultural Diversity. Science Education and Civic Engagement 2:1.
- Cruz, N., C. Barisón, M. Romano, F. Arengo, E. Derlindati, and I. Barberis. 2013. A new record of the Puna Flamingo (Phoenicoparrus jamesi) from Laguna Melincué, a lowland wetland in east-central Argentina. Wilson Journal of Ornithology 125(1): 217–221.
- Lee, R., F. Arengo, and A. Bechet (eds.) 2011. Flamingo, Bulletin of the IUCN-SSC/Wetlands International Flamingo Specialist Group, No. 18. Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust, Slimbridge, UK.
- Marconi, P., A.L. Sureda, F. Arengo, Aguilar, M.S., Amado, N., Alza, L., Rocha, O., Torres, R., Moschione, F., Romano, M., Sosa, H., and Derlindati, E. 2011. Fourth simultaneous flamingo census in South America: preliminary results. Flamingo 18: 48-53.
- Naro-Maciel, E., S.J. Gaughran, N.F. Putnam, G. Amato, F. Arengo, P.H. Dutton, K.W. McFadden, E.C. Vintinner, and E.J. Sterling. 2014. Predicting connectivity of green turtles at Palmyra Atoll, central Pacific: a focus on mtDNA and dispersal modeling. J.R.Soc. Interface 11: 20130888.
- Romano, M., I.M.Barberis, F.Pagano, P.Marconi, and F. Arengo. 2008. Winter monitoring of Andean and Chilean Flamingos in lowland wetlands of central Argentina. Flamingo 16: 45-47.
- Sterling, E.J., K. McFadden, K. Holmes, E. Vintinner, F. Arengo, and E. Naro-Maciel. 2013. Ecology and Conservation of Marine Turtles in a Foraging Ground in the Central Pacific. Chelonian Conservation Biology 12: 2-16.
- Uhart, M., F. Arengo, R. Nallar, S. Caziani, W. Karesh, and C. Marull. 2006. Exposure to selected agents in three flamingo species from the high Andes wetlands. Flamingo 14: 32.
Teaching ExperienceTeaching Experience
- Adjunct Research Scientist, Earth Institute, Columbia University
- Populations, 2001-2006
- Behavioral Ecology, 2003
- Evolution: Darwin to DNA, 2012
Earth Institute Center for Environmental Sustainability Certificate Program in Conservation and Environmental Sustainability Modules: