Master of Arts in Teaching
Behind the scenes at the Museum — and immersed in an urban classroom.
Learn to teach Earth and space science in New York City through the Master of Arts in Teaching Urban Residency Program at the American Museum of Natural History; the first urban teacher residency program offered by a museum.
- Full-time 15 month program with stipend
- Small class sizes and one-on-one mentoring
- Science coursework at a world-class museum
- Learn to teach in a supportive nurturing environment
- Work alongside scientists and urban teachers
- Graduate with real-world teaching experience
- Ongoing professional support following graduation
Share your passion for science and learning. Play your part in the intellectual, cultural, and social community of New York City. Start your new life inspiring the next generation with science. Change lives. Teach science.
MAT in the news
The New York Times profiles one of our current MAT candidates as she takes her students on an exploration of AMNH. Watch the video here!
Join us for an in-person Open House at AMNH to hear more about our program, speak with faculty and students, and get a tour of the program facilities. Open Houses will be held:
- Saturday, November 1, 1:00 - 3:30pm
- Saturday, December 6, 2:00 - 4:30pm
- Sunday, January 11, 1:00 - 3:30pm
- **NEW** Saturday, January 31, 2 - 4:30pm
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to register for an Open House.
If you are not able to make it to NYC for an Open House, please join us for an online Informational Webinar with members of our faculty and administration. Webinars will be held:
- Thursday, December 11, 6:00 - 7:00pm
- Wednesday, January 14, 5:00 - 6:00pm
- **NEW** Wednesday, February 4th, 5:00 - 6:00pm
Email email@example.com to register for an Informational Webinar.
If you would like to speak 1-on-1 with a member of our faculty to discuss the program or review your eligibility - either in person or by phone - please contact us at 212-313-7464, or click here to: Request an appointment
For updates about the program deadlines, requirements, Open Houses and Webinars, join our mailing list:
Video: MAT Graduates Reflect on their Experiences
Video: The Foundation of the MAT Program
The MAT program is supported in part by the New York State Education Department and by the National Science Foundation under Grant numbers DRL-1119444 and DUE-1340006.
The MAT program is supported in part by the New York State Education Department and by the National Science Foundation under Grant number DRL-1119444.
With deepest appreciation, the Museum acknowledges Kathryn W. Davis for her generous founding support of the Master of Arts in Science Teaching (MAT) Program.
Additional support has been provided by the Booth Ferris Foundation.