THE 2013 CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS IS NOW CLOSED.
THE MARGARET MEAD FILM FESTIVAL AND FILMMAKER AWARD
The American Museum of Natural History's Margaret Mead Film Festival is presented by the Museum's Public Programs Division in the Department of Education. Held annually each fall, the Mead Festival was founded in honor of pioneering anthropologist Margaret Mead, one of the first anthropologists to recognize the significance of film for fieldwork. The Mead Festival screens documentaries, experimental films, animation, and hybrid works that increase our understanding of the complexity and diversity of the peoples and cultures that populate our planet.
In 2010, the Margaret Mead Film Festival implemented the Margaret Mead Filmmaker Award. The Award recognizes documentary filmmakers who embody the spirit, energy, and innovation demonstrated by Margaret Mead in her research, fieldwork, films, and writings. The award is given to a filmmaker whose feature documentary offers a new perspective on a culture or community remote from the majority of our audiences' experience as well as displays artistic excellence and originality in storytelling technique. Films selected for the Margaret Mead Film Festival that are U.S., North American, or World Premieres are eligible for the Award. The award winner is selected by a jury of industry professionals.
- The Mead Festival considers a range of non-narrative films and videos including feature length documentaries, hybrid works, shorts, experimental films, essay films, animation, and new media.
- Productions must have been completed within the last three years.
- Works in any language other than English must have English subtitles or English voiceover narration.
- The Mead Festival does not accept resubmissions.
Please note that submissions will not be returned.
April 15, 2013
Entries must be postmarked by the above date.
- All entrants will be notified via email in September 2013. Please be sure the Margaret Mead Film Festival email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) does not get caught in your spam filter.
- The Mead Festival does not confirm receipt of submissions. If you would like confirmation of delivery, we strongly suggest using a traceable method, such as FedEx.
- Please do not call or write to check on your submission.
October 17-20, 2013