3. Submit Your Entry
Submit your entry ONLINE
How to Submit Your Online Application
- Go to the Online Application portal. Create a new account.
- Complete the entry form. You will need a teacher, parent, or guardian to electronically sign your form.
- Upload your essay. Acceptable formats include Word (.doc and docx), pdf and Apple Pages (.pages).
- If your essay is more than 100MB, you may have to remove images from your essay and upload them in the "Additional Images" section of the application.
- When you have completed the entry form, click the SUBMIT button. If you are not quite ready to submit, click the SAVE DRAFT button. All your information will be saved. You can return to your submission by signing in using your email and password.
- You will recieve an email confirming your submission.
- Digital entries must be received by 11:59 p.m. EST, March 1, 2013.
For optimum speed, please make sure you are running the latest version of your browser.
Submit your entry via the mail
Fill Out the Entry Form
You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view the PDF document. Print the form. It may be photocopied if needed. Please type or print neatly using black ink.
Before you mail your entry, read over the checklist to make sure your entry is complete.
- I have read and complied with the Rules and Regulations governing the 2013 Young Naturalist Awards.
- I complied with the entry format: typed (font no smaller than 12 point), double-spaced, with 1" margins on 8.5 x 11" single-sided white paper. Essays must have numbered pages, and be no more than 20 pages long.
- I completed Part I of the entry form.
- A parent/guardian, teacher, or mentor has read, filled out and signed Part II of the entry form, indicating that my writing is my own work.
- My supervisor has filled out and signed Part III, (applicable if your essay was the result of an investigation you did as a class, or at a summer institute, pre-college research program or environmental program or if you had a mentor).
- Send flat. Do not fold.
Send your essay and completed entry form to:
Young Naturalist Awards Administrator
American Museum of Natural History
Central Park West at 79th Street
New York, NY 10024-5192
Note: From the time of submission, all copyright rights in the entry are property of The American Museum of Natural History ("Museum"). Rights to an entry not selected as an award winner revert automatically to the student at the time award winners are selected. Copyright rights for entries selected for awards are the exclusive property of the Museum for two years from the date of selection. During this period, the Museum may use the work or permit the work to be used by others without compensation to the student. At the end of the two-year period, all rights to the work shall automatically revert to the student; except that the Museum shall retain non-exclusive publishing rights, and the Museum and other persons the Museum has authorized to use the work during the two-year period shall retain the right to continue to any such use. By signing the entry form, the student agrees to the terms of this release.
See Contest Results
The essay deadline is March 1, 2013. Mailed entries must be received by March 1, 2013. Digital entries must be received by 11:59 p.m. EST, March 1, 2012.
Judging will take place in March. The finalists and semi-finalists will be announced during the week of March 18, 2013. The first name and essay title of each finalist and semi-finalist will be posted on our website.
The final judging round will commence in April. The winners will be announced the week of April 15, 2013. They will be notified via phone and by mail. Their first names and essay titles will be posted on our website.