Request Access to the Museum Archives
Conducting research in the Museum Archives is by appointment only. Please submit your application at least four weeks in advance. An archivist will contact you to arrange your appointment date and time.
Before completing the form on this page, please review and agree to the Museum Archives Access Guidelines below.
Museum Archives Access Guidelines
- Please sign in at the front desk upon arrival and present a government-issued photo ID.
- Hang outerwear and store all bags, briefcases, or purses in the designated lockers.
- The Library reserves the right to inspect personal articles brought into or leaving the area.
- Pencils or laptops may be used for note taking.
- Let the desk attendant know if you leave the reading room.
- Do not leave archival materials unattended.
- Do not remove archival materials from your assigned location.
- Do not use pens, self-stick notes, or tripods.
- Do not eat, drink, or chew gum in the Library.
- The Library is under video surveillance at all times.
- Use extreme care handling the collections; archival materials are fragile and irreplaceable.
- Only one folder from one box may be open on the table at one time.
- View one item at a time within its folder, flat on the table.
- Preserve the existing arrangement of all archival materials within folders and boxes.
- If any materials appear to be misfiled, call this to the attention of the archivist.
- Do not rearrange any archival materials, even if they appear to be misfiled.
- Do not set objects on top of archival materials.
- Do not trace from or write on archival materials.
- Handheld photography without flash is permitted at the Library’s discretion.
- Do not photocopy or scan archival materials.
- Do not remove clear sleeves or any mounts.
- Do not remove paper clips or staples.
- Do not hold material or apply pressure while photographing.
- Do not photograph entire collections.
- Do not photograph the reading room, staff members, or patrons.
Researchers will be asked to refrain from photography if the activity is disturbing others or poses a risk to materials. Researchers agree to use photographed material for private research only. Permission to publish, display, or distribute photographed or digitized materials from the Museum Archives must be granted by the Library or Global Business Development. See Copyright, Permission, and Citation for more information.