USFWS Procedures

A USFWS 3-177 import/export declaration form must be filed for all imported/exported wildlife. This includes the shipment and receiving of international loans.  

You can access the form below:

See here for USFWS information on importing and exporting wildlife:   

All wildlife must be imported or exported through a designated port.  

If you bring in wildlife outside a designated port, USFWS requires an exception permit. The permit may be requested from the registrar's office if you are bringing specimens into the U.S. via Champlain and Buffalo, and the following procedure applies:  

You must justify economic hardship as your reason for use of the particular port versus a designated port.

You must call at least 72 hours in advance to ensure a USFWS agent will be at the port at the time of crossing.

Additional fees may apply as well as inspection fees at a non-designated port and overtime fees if inspection occurs outside non-business hours.

You must retain documentation of the permit use should USFWS ask for a year-end report.

You must provide the inspector with:

(1) All shipping documents (including bills of lading, waybills and packing lists or invoices);

(2) All permits, licenses or other documents required by the laws or regulations of the United States;

(3) All permits or other documents required by the laws or regulations of any foreign country;

(4) The wildlife being imported or exported; and

(5) Any documents and permits required by the country of export or re-export for the wildlife.